Declutter Your Mind
Published by Jay Davies in Trading Articles
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
That was a quote from a popular movie some years back. How true those words are! The world around us does move at an extremely fast pace. A by-product of this fast moving environment that we live in, is a mind cluttered with noise and stress.
This can have a detrimental impact on your trading. The way in which you deal with your surroundings can mean the difference between success and failure in the Forex world. If you are going to be able to make good trading decisions, then you need to have a clear head.
5 Ways To Improve Your Mental Clarity
- Declutter your surroundings. The published results of a recent study found that physical clutter can negatively affect your ability to focus and process information. Based upon these findings, make sure at the very least that your trading environment i.e. office, office desk, is clean and organised. This will have a calming effect on your mind and help you to make better trading decisions.
- Go slower. Easier said than done right? However, if all you need is 30 minutes a day to peruse your charts and set-up trades, then you want those few minutes to be calm and at a relaxed pace. If having a small window of quiet time means getting up a couple of minutes earlier or restructuring your day, than by all means do it.
- Get a good night's sleep. How often do we hear those words. Getting a good night's sleep can do wonders for you mentally. Improving your sleeping habits and getting the recommended dosage each night will remove the fog from your mind. You'll be surprised how much easier it will be to read a chart and increase your profits.
- Get 30 minutes of exercise a day. Those that are at the top of their game, such as surgeons, elite sportspeople and lawyers, exercise because they understand how important it is for their mental well-being and career success. If you can slot in some sort of physical activity during your day, the increased oxygen pumping around your body will work wonders at clearing the clutter from your mind, and as an added bonus will help with point number 3.
- Lose the indicators. This is a must if you want to trade like a professional. Indicators are not only useless, but they create a mess of your charts and make it hard to see what the current price action is telling you. If you declutter your screen it will declutter your mind and you'll start thinking like a pro.
As you can see, by means of a decluttering process, you can vastly improve your mental clarity and therefore your trading results. It can be hard to implement changes in life, especially if you have been doing things a certain way for years. Remember though, that Rome wasn't built in a day. If you're not realising trading success at this point in time and you can see areas to improve in, then slowly implement them into your trading routine.
The right education coupled with mental clarity will set you apart from the crowd and help you to become a successful trader.